One of my favorite winter recipes before I became lactose intolerant was always homemade pot pie. I will say, I use the term “homemade” loosely here because some people spend an entire day making their homemade pot pie. The recipe I used to use was basically cream of chicken soup, frozen veggies, some pre-cooked chicken, and a pre-made pie crust. Hey, a girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do to get dinner made before 9PM.
Anyhow, when I became lactose intolerant I avoided making this for a while because I wasn’t sure how to do it without the heavy cream or cream of chicken soup. Finally, I became fed up and after a lot of research and some experimenting I was able to figure it out. Best of all – the taste is basically the same!
1 Pre-made Pie Crust (room temperature)
2 Tablespoons Soy Butter
2 Tablespoons Flour
1 Cup Chicken Broth
1 Cup Frozen Carrots & Peas
1 Cup Frozen Corn
4 Chicken Breasts
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Dice the chicken and sprinkle with garlic salt and cook on medium heat until done. Strain and set aside.
- Cook frozen veggies in the microwave according to the package directions. Strain and put aside.
- Now you will need to make the roux. Melt your butter on medium heat and add flour to make a paste. Add in 1 cup of chicken broth and cook on high until it boils and the sauce thickens. (It should be very thick.)
- Add chicken and vegetables to your roux and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place pie crust on the bottom of baking dish. Add your filling and then top it off with the second crust. Press down on the edges of the crust with a fork to seal the crusts together. Poke holes in the top of your crust and cover the edges with foil.
- Put in the oven and bake for 30-40 mins or until the crust is brown.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 10-15 mins before serving.
There’s really nothing like coming home from work and being able to make something like this for your family on a cold winter’s night. If you aren’t into doing this much cooking on a weeknight, it’s easy to plan ahead for this meal and make the chicken and veggies in advance which will speed up your process. Or, better yet, you can make it for supper on Sunday :). Whatever floats your boat!
If you’d like to add more veggies or potatoes to this pot pie, just make sure they are cooked ahead like everything else is otherwise they won’t be cooked through when your pie is done.
I hope you all enjoy this little winter treat! Let me know your thoughts in the comments below!