Ever since I can remember, breakfast food has made me feel nauseous. I always thought it was because of the grease, but since I became lactose intolerant after pregnancy, I now realize that I may have been slightly lactose intolerant before then. Why, you ask? Because almost every single thing you could possibly order at a restaurant for breakfast contains some form of dairy. Eggs, pancakes, yogurt, french toast, skillets, omelettes….even my coffee!
You name it…it has dairy.
The fact that I wasn’t a huge breakfast fan was almost a deal breaker when Matt and I first got together because it is his favorite meal. I tried and tried again to like it…but every time it was the same result. It wasn’t until I realized I was lactose intolerant after pregnancy and I started making meals dairy free that I began to notice how much I actually LIKED breakfast food. Food is great when it doesn’t make you want to toss your cookies. 😉
Since then, I have experimented with making basically every form of breakfast food at home and dairy free. We even have breakfast for dinner at least once every other week in our house now because both Matt and Augie LOVE breakfast food so much.
One of my favorite things to make for breakfast for dinner nights is skillets. Meat and potatoes – breakfast style! You can’t go wrong. I love to make things that are easy to customize for dairy lovers and non-dairy lovers all at the same time and this one is pretty easy to do since I make everything in personal skillets. Here’s how I make my dairy free skillet.
3-4 Red Potatoes
Veggies of Your Choice – I used Green Peppers and Onion
3 Links Breakfast Sausage
1 Handful Daiya Mozzarella Style Cheese (or whichever type of dairy free cheese you like)
1. Wash and then dice the red potatoes (leave the skin on!) and put them into a bowl. Drizzle olive oil on top and sprinkle salt and pepper to taste. Mix together and put either in individual skillets or on a baking sheet. Broil on high in oven while you cook the rest of the ingredients either until they are soft. If you like them crispy, leave them in for a little longer!
2. Brown breakfast sausage in skillet.
3. While you brown the meat, dice up your vegetables and put them in a separate pan with a drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper. Cook until they are soft.
4. Once your potatoes are almost done, crack your eggs and scramble them. Put a drizzle of olive oil into a frying pan and cook your eggs on medium heat until done. You can also use a little dairy free butter instead of oil if you’d like. We use Earth Balance at our house. 🙂
5. When your potatoes are finished cooking, take your skillets out of the oven and add the eggs, sausage, and vegetables. Top off with a handful of Daiya Cheese and pop back under the broiler until the cheese is melted.
That’s it! Super easy. MMmmmmm skillet-y goodness!
I hope you all enjoy bringing breakfast back into your lactose free life! Let me know what you think in the comments below :).
PS – make sure you check out more of my yummy lactose free meals.