If you have been reading this blog for any length of time you should know by now that after 3 years of being lactose free, I have adapted a lot of my all time favorite recipes into lactose free choices. Some of them even allow me to make half with regular cheese and half without so I can still make things semi-normal for my dairy loving husband. This is one of those recipes that’s easy to adapt by topping with different cheeses. So nice and easy and doesn’t take much thought :). My kind of cooking.
4 Green Peppers
1lb Hot Italian Turkey Sausage
1 Jar Of Your Favorite Spaghetti Sauce
3 Cups Cooked White or Brown Rice
1 Small Onion
2 Cloves Garlic
Dairy Free Cheese
Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- While the rice is cooking, cut the tops off the green peppers and de-seed. Cut peppers in half and set aside.
- Cut out the stem from the top of the pepper and discard. Chop up the remaining pieces to sauté along with the onion.
- Heat about 1 tbsp of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and add the garlic, onion, and chopped green pepper. Sauté until the onions become translucent.
- Cut the casings off the turkey sausage and add the insides to your skillet. Sauté until the meat is cooked through.
- At this point your rice should be done. Lower the heat on your skillet to simmer and add the rice and about 1/2 a cup of pasta sauce. Mix to combine and then add salt and pepper to taste
- Cover a large glass baking dish with a layer of pasta sauce. Place green pepper halves on top of the sauce and fill with the mixture from the skillet.
- Top peppers with the remaining sauce and dairy free cheese.
- Add about 1 cup of water to the bottom of your baking dish and then cover with foil and cook for 1 hour.
If you are feeling ambitious and you like to pre-make meals for the week, this is a great option! Just follow all of the instructions but instead of cooking after you cover it with foil, put it straight in the fridge and save it for a different day. It may take slightly longer to cook if you do this just because everything will need time to warm up.
I hope you all enjoy these! It’s one of my favorite recipes! Let me know your thoughts in the comments below.